The Wild Geese Foundation has awarded Senior Pride a grant of $5,000 as a major boost to building the organization’s capacity. In our application to the foundation, Senior Pride stated that the objectives are to begin a transition from a grassroots organization to a more formal one that will serve LGBTQ+ older adults for generations and to increase services.
A summary of Senior Pride’s key goals is as follows:
• To provide resources to LGBTQ+ older adults as well as support groups
• To interrupt isolation through establishing social connections (e.g., monthly potlucks and speakers series, book club, workshops and friendly visits to homebound individuals)
• To enhance health and well-being through education and resources
• To build cultural experiences and communications through community events that celebrate our history and cultural achievements
• To continue to serve as a communications hub through our website and social media
• To seek and engage partnerships, networks and collaborations with all who serve older people in
Pima County and surrounding areas
As part of the capacity-building process, the Steering Committee will hire a consultant for a fund development plan to increase donations, grants and sponsorships for our non-profit organization. The need for capacity building is the anticipation of an increase in the population of older LGBTQ+ adults and to meet greater needs for services, connection to community, and collaborations.
Heartfelt thanks to the Wild Geese Foundation!